Watch me learn, watch me fail, watch me post it regardless of how it looks.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

I love remnants

Every time I go to the fabric store I always hound the remnants. I scour for good finds and good deals because 9 times out of 10, they're 50% off the markdown price.

Last time on my trip to Richmond, I actually picked out two remnants, not realizing that they were 50% off and checked out. I spent $4. After it hit me that they were even CHEAPER than I expected, I raced over and grabbed mounds more. I can't help myself. I spent $24 more. *sigh* I could have just walked away, but who can resist????

In that crazy lot of random fabrics, I picked up some black sweatshirt material with these random gray lines all over. (SWEET!) I've never sewed with that sort of material, so this was going to be a new adventure for me.

I decided tonight to make a pair of awesome sweatpants for my daughter. I probably have enough for a pair for me, but hey - it's easier to make them for her vs. making them for myself. :) I created the pattern, cut it out and cut my fabric today. If I did this right, they should (after being put together) sit on her calves. You know, kind of like parachute pants? I'm not sure why I opted to make them this way, but I just thought it would be super cool and she would look like a rockstar.

I attempted using the serger again and that thing is a piece of crap. Okay, it's not. It's me. I have no idea how to use it and since it was a freebie from my aunt, I lack a manual. So I have NO IDEA what I'm doing or how to thread it. I've tried countless times and failed miserably each time. So I'm just going to go with a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch to prevent fraying. (Does sweatshirt material even fray???)

Alas - I am not done. I'm going to work on them tonight though after I put the munchkin to bed. Then I'll be back to post pictures of the finished product. Don't be surprised if they suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment